Cameron Yards History

1949_game.jpg firstphoto_1931.jpg
Second version Of Cameron Yards Long Before Park Rd was extended out to Pineville. It was briefly Called Clark Field after Thadeus Clark, who fell into the Outhouse hole and was never the same. One of The first photographs Of Cameron Yards when 8th annual Little League World Series  was held at the Yards. Millard Fillmore attended game but left when he sat on Cotton Candy but legend has it he left when he overheard fans whispering that he smelled like Sea Bass.
First team bus circa 1918 was donated by local industrialist J. Rutgers Gullet but the bus got no use since roads had not been invented yet

Stars that have passed through “The Yards”
maddog_mcgee.jpg leroy_babbage.jpg snooks.jpg
“Maddog” Knotts  1969 RBI leader . Now resides under Giants Stadium Stuben Fricks  1943 Triple Crown Winner. Was released abruptly when he wouldnt stop that “sniffing” thing that irritated his teammates. Gregory “Ruiz” Ruiz   or “Ruiz” as he was fondly known. First Player to bat over 210. at The Yards. Retired early with  Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
1972_womensoftball.jpg glove.jpg jasper.doc.jpg
Samantha Washington.(1968) First Female softball player. Was released because of her obsession with Agnes Morehead. Bert Wordsworth -Three time GOLD GLOVE WINNER    Played 4 seasons at Cameron Yards In Mid 60s. Always a Fan favorite for his habit of using reflexive Pronouns in conjunction with dangling Participles. Snooks Hoyt. First to have 3 consecutive 40+ HR seasons.(1976,77,78) Always the hypochondriac, he Retired in 1981 when he felt he suffered ill-effects from the pre-emergent applied on the field.
ad1.jpg
Grover Buckholz  (3B)  (1958-1961)  First Crimson Mule Player to vioilate the “avoid Fire Ant Mounds” rule.

MASCOTS OVER THE YEARS
mascot3.jpg mascot2.jpg
1942 1947 1951 1958
16lannylookoffsmile.jpg
Chief Sixpack 2003 “Oinky” 1973 Mr. Cackles* Frances  (1985)
*Under Court order, a sealed legal agreement referencing his inappropriate  relationship with a Beagle prevents us from discussing his tenure –  Editor
saquat.jpg
Boris Lumpkin   1983   Terminated after unfortunate incident after his return from his holiday to Mexico. “Timmy The Mule”.   Mascot from June 2-June 3, 1956.  Didnt Go over well with the children in the Audience, and by the end of his first night, the stands were empty by the 5th inning.  Was terminated for trying to wrestle an “Oh Henry” bar from a Spectator. Was provided handsome severance package. Later when on the become CFO at Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Meet “Mahesh Gupta the mule,” our 2012 mascot


PARK SHARON PLAYED SOME OF THEIR GAMES AT  CAMERON YARDS UNTIL THE PROGRAM
ABANDONED FOOTBALL IN THE MID 70’s.Some archived photos from their last season below

   

parksharon13.jpgparksharon2.jpgparksharon1.jpg parksharon14.jpgparksharon7.jpgparksharon10.jpgparksharon12.jpgparksharon11.jpg
The mound at Cameron yards was the designated as NC historical site when it
was realized that the hill was the eastern most MOUND from the ancient
Mound Builders of Missouri
To The Left is a Rendering of The proposed Cameron Yards Municipal Stadium Dome in 1976. We Chartered Central Piedmont Community College’s New College of Architecture To Design State-of-the-art Dome and entertainment Facility. Idea never came to fruition when we realized there was lack of clear communication when we discovered the student- architects didnt realize field was to be inside  the Dome..
mayan.jpg The site where Cameron Yards Municipal Stadium lies and adjacent acreage was the the site of Mayan Ruins excavations in early 1900s, hence its designation as a North Carolina Historical site.
santaan.jpg fish.gif.jpg
The site Where Cameron Yards Lies now was the site of an important meeting between Santa Ana and Kubla Kahn before their march on Waterloo and the defeat of Stonewall Jackson.  Refreshments were served. In 1961 The largest Small Mouth Perch Ever caught in NC was pulled from what is now Cameron Wood Pond by young Gustaf Everhart, a coltish Chap with a pert, upturned nose and  glint of mischief in his eye. The fish went on to live in what is now Cameron Wood and served on The Homeowners Association thru 1991. IN 1974, Cameron Yards, was very briefly the home of the Detroit Wheels on the World Football League.  The Wheels where the first WFL team to run into financial difficulties and moved To Cameron Yards to enhance fan base and continue season. However, the IRS seized  all uniforms and equipment plus that real nice Leather ball in an attempt to pay the numerous creditors.  The team ceased operations. The league went under a year later.
raill.jpg railye.jpg
The Acreage where Cameron Wood now stands was a popular recreational spot for South Mecklenburg High school students when  the school was built in 1960. It was at this spot that Mary Beth Kopernicky became a virgin for the very 7th time. Between 1904-1945 the railyard for the “Atchison, Topeka, and Cameron Yards Railway” sat adjacent to The site where the stadium sits.  The railway commuted fans from downtown Charlotte To the Stadium. The Railway ceased operation in 1945 when a large but assertive bunny collided  with an Engine in minor  rail mishap.
“THROWING OUT THE FIRST PITCH” over the years..
In 1991 “Twiki” honored Cameron Yards by throwing out the first pitch to the delight of fans.   “Twiki” , three years removed from The Betty Ford Center for substance abuse, can now be seen on the CBS show “The Surreal Life” on television and is currently on tour promoting his current book “The Coming Iridium Crisis” now available at your favorite bookstores.
stockdale.jpg In 1993 Admiral Stockdale threw out the first pitch.
storch.jpg 1969   Larry Storch
kerrythrow.jpg 2004 John Kerry. He had a plan.
baker.jpg 1995   Former Senator and White House Chief Of Staff Howard Baker. The Senator stayed for the Buffet.
madden.jpg 1970    Dave Madden, alias “Ruben Kincaid”
stassen.jpg 1953 Harold Stassen Threw out the first pitch
July 4th  Doubleheader  1988  Jeffrey Dahmer
dirk.jpg 1976  Dirk Benedict of Battlestar Gallactaca Threw out the first pitch and was Master of Ceremonies for the Anvil Tossin’ Contest
cruise.jpg 1998 Scientologist and L. Ron Hubbard disciple Tom Cruise threw out the first pitch.
akbar.jpg 1961  Decorated Korean War hero Admiral Warren F. Ackbar. With his exposure at the “Yards”, His career took off and   he later went on to cameo roles in Feature Films and sat on the Center Square of Hollywood Squares from 1981-84   He has just completed his memoirs and enjoys coin collecting and banjo playing.
1937 FDR and The first lady visited Cameron Yards in celebration of the expansion of the Stadium. After the game and party FDR let slip within earshot of   a Charlotte News reporter that he was faking his paralysis just to avoid intimate relations with Eleanor.
mounds.jpg The Mound That lies adjacent to what is now Cameron Yards Stadium was the farthermost east Mound built by the Native American Mound builders of Missouri. The area was later captured and settled by Capt. Horatio “Hollers Alot”  Birnen during the Brief Canadian-Bolivian conflict that was fought in the areas that now comprise Cameron Wood. Despite many successes in Battle, Birnen was know to have alienated his troops by uttering the terms “eegad!” and “Yowser!” in the heat of Battle.    Birnen later  settled in the area and opened a  successful Canned Ham distributorship in the area that is now Pineville..
syknyrd.jpg In 1989, after a doubleheader “Lynyrd Skynard” appeared to promote the “Most of Us Are Dead” Tour
History

01-2-07  reprint from South Charlotte Sports Report:

Controversy surroundsthe historyCameron Yards.A lot of historyhas been passed along thru the generations but severalthemes and stories seem to remain as constants. Few historical artifacts remain butas the Venuehas morphed

over theyears, sometimes expanding and sometimes condensing, The field remains an integral part ofCharlottes sports history.The field was once

Considered to be so rural it was inaccessible to Charlotte Streetcars and often considered more of Pineville facility as opposed to Charlotte.The Stadium seemed to

take shape as Pineville’s once large raceway that was located where Southland Industrial Parkway now Stands, was losing its popularity asracing seem to shift more towards the area where Charlotte Motor Speedway now stands. As parcels of land were bought an developed near Pineville different owners of the Stadium had considered selling the land where the Stadium lay to developers. Today the stadium remains surrounding by a lower middle class development and section eight housing referred to as “Cameron Wood”In the 30s a Charlotte Historical commission attempted to name the site as an historical property as so no more development could take place. When Mayan Ruins were discovered

Near the North Gate where Boogs Brats now stands, it become almost a certainty that the Stadium would remain in Tact.In 1969 during the expansion at the south gateof“Willies Whacky Waving Inflatable Flailing Arm Men”the remains of an“Oh Henry” bar were discovered and it was widely known that Millard Fillmore was enjoying one at a gamehe attended in 1875, and the concessions didn’t sell “Oh Henry” bars at that juncture.Today “Oh Henry” bars are known for the delicious combination of chocolate nougat, milk chocolate and fresh Pecans.“Oh Henrys’ are available at your Favorite Store” Many changes have taken place to the structure over the years including the addition and removal of an upper deck,; the addition of a subterranean batting cage, The demolition of the AT&CY (Atchison, Topeka, and Cameron Yards Railway)depot and station behind the east side of the Stadium; the discovery and ensuing Monument ofSlugger “Hack Creeleys” fossilized Chaw from the late 30s:.

Other milestones remain static and emblazoned in Cameron Yards storied and fabled history:

* Millard Fillmore caught a game but White House spokesman said he left earlybecause he was under the weather but legend has it he was offended when he overheard a patron whispering that he thought the president smelled like Sea bass.

* Cameron yards hosted the 1938 Little League World Series,. Floyd Higgenbottom, who later went onto the big leagues, Hit .576 in 5 games and was remembered for his fondness for bile and Farber Beans.

* The teams that occupied the Stadium were parked in different levels of minor league ball over the years, including the Class D Tarheel League

To the class B Carolina League and the double AA, as it was known later, Tobbaco State League. The team, the Crimson Mules, now reside in the Coastal Plains League.

*The Mound That lies adjacent to what is now Cameron Yards Stadium was the farthermost east Mound built by the Native American Mound builders of Missouri. The area was later captured and settled by Capt. Horatio “Hollers Alot”  Birnen during the Brief Canadian-Bolivian conflict that was fought in the areas that now comprise Cameron Wood. Despite many successes in Battle, Birnen was know to have alienated his troops by uttering the terms “eegad!” and “Yowsa!” in the heat of Battle.    Birnen later  settled in the area and opened a  successful Canned Ham distributorship in the area that is now Pineville

*In 1959 When The Class AA southern League moved the Team to Dulth, the field was used as temporary storage facilty for Trans-fatty acids.

*Astronaut Gordon Cooper commented from space on national television that from 22 miles up that Cameron Yards Field looked like Bernie Macs head.

*During a 1951 Renovation a Rare “number 3” pencilwas uncovered and now lies in the “museum of the New South” in Charlotte.”

*Slugger “Snooks Hoyt” sued the facility claiming he acquired “SRAPV” while playing 3 years here. He claimed he picked up SRAPV, or “sudden right angle projectile vomiting” from the pre-emergent applied to the field. The suit was settled out of court. Hoyt died in 1994 from Acute Lollygagging.

*In 1974 one of the more memorable melees broke out in the crowd when

An argument escalated from a simple disagreement to a riot over who was a

Better “Darren” on “Bewitched”, Dick Sargeant or Dick York.

*Circa 1910“Turf Manager” Thaddeus Clark fell into the outhouse hole and wasn’t rescued for 48 hours. He was never the same.

*In 1949 two guys both named “Dirk” had tickets waiting for them at the Will-call window. It Was rumored several chuckled as a result.

*in 1943 Triple Crown Winner“Steuban Fricks” was abruptly releasedat the behest of his Teammates when he wouldn’t stop “that sniffing thing”

* Bert Wordsworth -Three time GOLD GLOVE WINNER    Played 4 seasons at Cameron Yards In Mid 60s. Always a Fan favorite for his habit of using reflexive Pronouns in conjunction with dangling Participles.

* In 1961 The largest Small Mouth Perch Ever caught in NC was pulled from what is now Cameron Wood Pond by young Gustaf Everhart, a coltish Chap with a pert, upturned nose and  glint of mischief in his eye. The fish went on to live in what later became “Cameron Wood” and served in the Homeowners Association”

*In 1958a double headerwas called off after “Nickel Beer night” and“Free Mini Bat Night” proved to beill-advised.

In 1991 “Twiki” (buck Rodgers) honored Cameron Yards by throwing out the first pitch to the delight of fans.   “Twiki” , three years removed from The Betty Ford Center for substance abuse, can now be seen on the CBS show “The Surreal Life” on television and is currently on tour promoting his current book “The Coming Iridium Crisis” now available at your favorite bookstores.

*in 1858 The ailing widow of Stonewall Jackson threw out the first pitch but her arm came with it much to the delight of the fans.

*in 1931batboy Little “Bobby Dockery” happened across a severed Gibbons monkeyhead in a shipment of baseballs. Bobby Took the 1932 season off.

*On a steamy June Night In 1943 President Roosevelt Threw out the first pitch but the game was delayed 25 minutes as result of his wheelchair getting stuck on the pitching rubber. Later on that night controversy came about when a reporter insists he overheard FDR admitting to an aide that he faked his paralysis solely to avoid intimate relations with his wife, Eleanor.The President denied any such conversation took place.

*Fructose was discovered on the stadium ground in the lates and mined there till it was depleted in the early 50s.

*In 1956 GammaRays killed the entire crowd of 2,192 fans. Rebates, rain checks, and free ballcaps were issued to surviving families.

*Between 1959 and 1970 Disney Movies used the field to field several scenes for several different movies where a Street fruit cart vendor was knocked in the air by runaway whacky car.

*In 1979 Gordon Jump, aka “Mr. Carlson in WKRP from Cincinnati” threw out the first pitch”

*The Name “Crimson Mules” was originated in the 1940s when local farmers noticed the Mules emmited red glow.

Local livestock emitted a “reddish Hue” which was later determined to be from the Iridium that was mined at the site.

*Paramount used the Field to shoot two scenes from “Here comes General Burkhalter!” , a short lived prime time spin off from Hogans Heroes canceled after 7 Episodes.

*in 1966 at a post game concert The “Lanced Boils” performed a concert. They later went on to bigger fame as “Paul Revere and the Raiders”

The Mound That lies adjacent to what is now Cameron Yards Stadium was the farthermost east Mound built by the Native American Mound builders of Missouri. The area was later captured and settled by Capt. Horatio “Hollers Alot”  Birnen during the Brief Canadian-Bolivian conflict that was fought in the areas that now comprise Cameron Wood. Despite many successes in Battle, Birnen was know to have alienated his troops by uttering the terms “eegad!” and “Yowser!” in the heat of Battle.    Birnen later  settled in the area and opened a  successful Canned Ham distributorship in the area that is now Pineville.